Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver was released on April 26, 2018. This post describes some of the important features of Ubuntu 18.04 with its LTS predecessor Ubuntu 16.04 and also provide various downloading links for Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver.
Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Features
- Linux Kernel 4.15 ( from 4.4)
- systemd 237 ( from 229 )
- Apache 2.4.29 ( from 2.4.18 ) HTTP/2 support is enabled in 18.04
- Nginx 1.14.0 ( from 1.10.3 ) with features like HTTP/2 push and gRPC proxy module
- Node.js 8.10 ( from 4.2.6 )
- Python 3.6.5 ( from 3.5.1 )
- Ruby 2.5 ( from 3.5.1 )
- Go 1.10 ( from 1.6 )
- PHP 7.2 ( from 7.0 )
- MySQL 5.7.21 ( from 5.7.21 ) No update
- MariaDB 10.1 ( from 10 )
- PostgreSQL 10 ( from 95 )
- MongoDB 3.6.3 ( from 2.6.10 )
gcc is now set to default to compile applications as position independent executables as well as with immediate binding.
Mitigation are in place to protect against Spectre and Meltdown
bolt and thunderbolt-tools have been promoted to main to provide security controls for Thunderbolt devices.
Other Important Updates
- 32 bit Installer version will not be provided for Ubuntu Desktop
- Ubuntu Desktop now uses GNOME instead of Unity
- GDM has replaced LightDM as the default display manager. The login screen now uses virtual terminal 1 instead of virtual terminal 7
- Window control buttons are placed in right
- Driverless pointing support is available
- GNOME’s built in keyboard is used instead of Onboard
- Calender has a week view and supports recurring view
Download Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS version will be supported for 5 years for Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu servers and Ubuntu Core.
ISOs and Flashable Images can be downloaded from following locations
http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/ (Ubuntu Desktop and Server)
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/releases/18.04/release/ (Less Popular Ubuntu Images)
http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/daily/server/bionic/current/ (Ubuntu Cloud Images)
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/netboot/18.04/ (Ubuntu Netboot)
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/18.04/release/ (Lubuntu and Lubuntu Alternate)
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-budgie/releases/18.04/release/ (Ubuntu Budgie)
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntukylin/releases/18.04/release/ (Ubuntu Kylin)
https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/ (Ubuntu MATE)
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/18.04/release/ (Ubuntu Studio)
Upgrade Ubuntu 16.04 or Ubuntu 17.10 to 18.04
As per official release of Ubuntu upgrades from 17.10 will not be enabled until a few days after 18.04 release. Upgrades from 16.04 LTS will only be available after release of 18.04.1 expected in July .
For more information, you can check Ubuntu 18.04 BionicBeaver official release notes